Thursday 7 June 2012

Having a nosy at the neighbours...

So as part of my career development work for cpd23, I have been having a nosy at other people's blogs to see what they're up to...

I quite enjoy reading blogs - it satisfies my interest in people watching. But it has to be about something I'm interested in. I think that's why I've been reluctant to start a blog of my own... what if I bore people to death with the day to day details of my little life! So the cpd23 programme is great for me as it provides a framework to hang ideas on.

I may be showing my age but when I was at Library School I don't remember blogging being popular - we did a course in computer studies and the internet but blogs certainly weren't in there. (It was also in the days before Facebook... yes we lived without it back then!). So having a look round Libraryland recently has been fascinating.

I started with a look at some of my fellow, newly registered cpd23 candidates, most of whom were current Library school students. I was impressed by their online confidence which I guess is very typical of today's university students- facebook, twitter, blogs etc must be a big part of their lives these days. I tried very hard to leave a sensible comment on the posts I read. This is actually something I find really hard... I consider myself pretty IT literate but I don't always feel comfortable with the interactivity of so- called Web 2 interfaces. I'm a very social creature in real life and happy talking to all sorts of people but online I'm a great lurker! So I think that this is one of the real benefits for me from this whole process.
 
I really enjoyed following recommendations to articles and other blogs and unearthed all sorts of useful stuff ( the way I found out about cpd23 in the first place). I came away buzzing with enthusiam and ideas and lists of people I'd like to have a look at again. It was more of a problem deciding when to stop and rejoin the real world...

No comments:

Post a Comment